Marco Polo is a name that might be unfamiliar to your average rap fan, but will be instantly familiar to anyone who’s interested in and down with that real hip-hop. Polo is planning to drop his full free project, Newport Authority 2, on May 1, but for now let your ears cruise through a track straight out of the ‘70s, the Stand Up (Remix). According to Polo, Adrian Younge did a single verse “on some freestyle sh*t,” but after he heard the record he knew he that needed more. Three verses and a hook from Lil’ Fame (of M.O.P.) and Tragedy later, and Polo’s got something really special on his hands. The background vocals are reminiscent of ‘70s backup singers, which accompany a heavy and dark brass section that the emcees hit with hard lyrical jabs. Real hip-hop, stand up, salute, and keep an ear out for Newport Authority 2.
Written by Thomas K Welker on 04/23/13
With his latest full-length, PA2: The Director's Cut, slated for release this July via Soulspazm Records, veteran beatsmith Marco Polo is tiding fans over with the release of free album Newport Authority 2. Mixed and...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.