Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
Tomorrow, April 19, marks the third anniversary of Guru’s death from cancer. Despite his untimely passing, the Gang Starr co-founder’s influence is alive and well among underground artists and heads. On G.U.R.U, the second single off his next solo album, veteran beatsmith Marco Polo and two equally distinguished members of the hip-hop community link up to pay their respects to an emcee they consider, “one of the best of all time.” Talib Kweli handles mic duties, revisiting fond memories of the man and his music over Polo’s string-sampled boardwork. Fellow NYC icon DJ Premier lends a hand behind the wheels of steel. Port Authority 2: The Director’s Cut is slated for release this July via Soulspazm Records. In the meantime, keep it locked for the latest on pre-album mixtape Newport Authority 2, dropping digitally in the near future.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Marco Polo’s Todd Angkasuwan-directed G.U.R.U. visual.
Written by richard on 11/2/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.