Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
In the week leading up to Valentine’s Day, we’ve featured an unusually high volume of records on the topic of exes—and just about all of them have found the artists anxious to get back together with their old flames. Here to balance the scales is Bay Area buzzmaker Mara Ruby, with a rendition of Cry Me a River that serves as her official debut single. In covering the classic torch song, the Simply Beautiful singer/songwriter follows in the footsteps of such diverse and eminent vocalists as Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London and Barbara Streisand. Those are tough acts to follow, but Hruby does her forebears proud, delivering the rueful lyrics with a potent mix of hostility and smoky nonchalance. The Park‘s live-band arrangement accompanies her vocals. For Cry Me a River and much more, pick up the singer’s six-song Archaic Rapture EP when it drops digitally March 18.
Update: We have added the Dr. Woo-directed visuals for Mara’s Cry Me A River single.
Written by richard on 02/25/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Simply Beautiful" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.