More than five years after the release of his debut studio album (and four since his split with Cash Money), emcee/songwriter/producer Mannie Fresh has officially returned to his solo grind with the digital release of his second full-length. How’s the former Big Tymer been holding up since last we heard from him? According to the project’s lead single, he’s still doin’ it Like a Boss (Slim Thug, anyone?), enjoying the fast life in all its luxuriously expensive glory. Over his own fresh Southern boardwork, driven by bubbling synths and an authoritative piano loop, the New Orleans baller exults in his ongoing financial security, celebrates his musical legacy and reaffirms his loyalty to his hometown, spitting “This my city, this my home/ you heard I was leaving, well n*gga you wrong..” So, does this ever-stunting rapper/producer still sound as Fresh as he did back in 2004? If you think so, you can hear plenty more new tunes on The Return of Ballin, available now from online retailers and set for an independent physical release on November 17.
Written by richard on 11/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Run Tell The DJ" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.