If you cherish fond memories of a certain ‘97 breakout single by Mark Morrison well, you’re in for a treat. Today, The Mack re-returns, Dr. Who style, in a new incarnation. Los Angeles emcee Mann dons the R&B vet’s oversized chain and all-black ensemble on his latest single, an infectious cover/reimagining sure to earn a place of honor on retro-minded heads’ summer playlists. J.R. Rotem mans the boards, serving up a faithful yet fresh rendition of the original’s Cutfather & Joe-produced instrumental, which Mann proceeds to lace with laid-back braggadocio and smooth game-spitting. Heavyweight guest Snoop Dogg sounds right at home flowing over Rotem’s bumping bass and G-Funk synths; during his middle 16, I had to check my watch to make sure I hadn’t fallen through a time portal to the mid-‘90s. Last but not least, Virgin Islands-repping pop hitmaker Iyaz tops the record off with an silky rendition of the original chorus. There’s no questioning this joint’s catchiness, but is its pop appeal strong enough to score the headliner’s debut studio album,Mann’s World, a solid drop date? Only time will tell, but readers are welcome to speculate in the meantime.
Written by richard on 06/5/11
Submit your Rating
Peace Life Quality Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ghetto Girl ft. Sean Kingston" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.