One man’s martyr is another man’s terrorist. One mans’ trash is another man’s treasure. It doesn’t matter what the platitude is, it’s all about the message of perspective. Los Angeles emcee and Booth newcomer Mani Coolin’ is exploring that message further in his latest video, Saint Not A Sinner. The SEVENEIGHT (Eddy Orellana) shot and directed video alternates between Mani rapping behind a fence and the plot of his friend robbing a convenient store only to be pulled over shortly after. While Mani rapping behind the gate symbolizes being trapped in the street life, the story of his friend reflects the blurring of lines between saint and sinner in a neighborhood where desperate measures are called upon to survive. The RMUR production, which centers around an ominous classical guitar line that sounds like it came from a Latin church in the desert, can be interpreted as ominous or hopeful, depending on how you take in Mani’s lyrics and ambiguous hook. Will he turn into a saint or sinner? The tale will be continued on Mani’s upcoming EP, Hope 4 The Youth.
Written by Bryan H on 04/28/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.