One man’s martyr is another man’s terrorist. One mans’ trash is another man’s treasure. It doesn’t matter what the platitude is, it’s all about the message of perspective. Los Angeles emcee and Booth newcomer Mani Coolin’ is exploring that message further in his latest video, Saint Not A Sinner. The SEVENEIGHT (Eddy Orellana) shot and directed video alternates between Mani rapping behind a fence and the plot of his friend robbing a convenient store only to be pulled over shortly after. While Mani rapping behind the gate symbolizes being trapped in the street life, the story of his friend reflects the blurring of lines between saint and sinner in a neighborhood where desperate measures are called upon to survive. The RMUR production, which centers around an ominous classical guitar line that sounds like it came from a Latin church in the desert, can be interpreted as ominous or hopeful, depending on how you take in Mani’s lyrics and ambiguous hook. Will he turn into a saint or sinner? The tale will be continued on Mani’s upcoming EP, Hope 4 The Youth.
Written by Bryan H on 04/28/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.