With his first feature, Minne-ap up-and-comer Mally held the mirror up to American society, spitting about the systemic injustices that keep his People down. Now, the emcee’s flipped that looking glass around to take a good, long look at his own Reflection. Over a soulful, organ-driven instrumental by Mydus (producer of 810‘s U Won’t Like This), the rapper gives curious listeners a guided tour of his psyche, touching upon the struggles that made him the artist he is today, his feelings on being labeled a “conscious rapper,” and even his religious beliefs (“I love God, but I never really loved church.”). Mally’s main focus here is on telling it like it is, but he doesn’t neglect to season his no-nonsense rhymes with poetic imagery and subtle wordplay. Eloquence, realness, and old school-informed boardwork are all big draws in the Booth, and when all three intersect on a single track, rave reviews are likely to follow. The emcee’s latest LP, The Passion, is available now in stores and online; in addition, watch for Mally to step into the Booth for an exclusive freestyle sometime this fall!
Listen to More: MaLLy
Written by richard on 09/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.