Lyrically sound with a flow that is “retardedly bop” like Nas in ‘94, Mally is a special emcee. But just this morning I saw a notable emcee tweet that “if Rap was basketball, the NBA would be a bunch of 5’6” guys and Dwayne Wade would be in the D-League”. So the question is, with most of the culture’s biggest talents thriving in the underground, can a relatively unknown artist like Mally take it to the big leagues? The answer lies in On the Way Up, where a cooled out, pure hip-hop beat courtesy of Mydus serves as the backdrop to this Minnesota wordsmith’s musical journey. Mally gives listeners a view of his ascension from nobody to somebody as he spews off more lines than a barcode. On the Way Up is perfect combination of strong verses, a groovy hook and a mesmerizing beat, but only time will tell if songs like this and the rest of his new, unscheduled collabo album with Mydus, The Quality of Mind, will elevate Mally to the big leagues.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 03/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.