Lyrically sound with a flow that is “retardedly bop” like Nas in ‘94, Mally is a special emcee. But just this morning I saw a notable emcee tweet that “if Rap was basketball, the NBA would be a bunch of 5’6” guys and Dwayne Wade would be in the D-League”. So the question is, with most of the culture’s biggest talents thriving in the underground, can a relatively unknown artist like Mally take it to the big leagues? The answer lies in On the Way Up, where a cooled out, pure hip-hop beat courtesy of Mydus serves as the backdrop to this Minnesota wordsmith’s musical journey. Mally gives listeners a view of his ascension from nobody to somebody as he spews off more lines than a barcode. On the Way Up is perfect combination of strong verses, a groovy hook and a mesmerizing beat, but only time will tell if songs like this and the rest of his new, unscheduled collabo album with Mydus, The Quality of Mind, will elevate Mally to the big leagues.
Listen to More: MaLLy
Written by Quentin Cuff on 03/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.