In the classic Christmas flick It’s a Wonderful Life, a hopeless man played by Jimmy Stewart is on the verge of ending it all when he’s stopped by an angel, who shows him how grim his neighbors’ lives would be if it weren’t for his influence. On his sophomore album, Minneapolis emcee MaLLy poses a similar question: what if he’d never picked up the mic? Needless to say, the Twin Cities scene would be much the poorer—as would the artist himself. On lead single Hold My Tongue, he gives us our first look at this frightening alternate universe. Last Word‘s grimy, dissonant synth boardwork accompanies MaLLy as he spits, “...No plaques, no mics / F**k lobster, get a pizza and a cup of cold Sprite.” Atmosphere frontman Slug gets a little more abstract in his middle 16, and newcomer Rapper Hooks lends his frenetic flow to the final verse. The Colors of Black is slated to hit record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8. In the meantime, why not take a listen to MaLLy’s last project, November 2013’s Strange Rhythm mixtape?
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.