In the classic Christmas flick It’s a Wonderful Life, a hopeless man played by Jimmy Stewart is on the verge of ending it all when he’s stopped by an angel, who shows him how grim his neighbors’ lives would be if it weren’t for his influence. On his sophomore album, Minneapolis emcee MaLLy poses a similar question: what if he’d never picked up the mic? Needless to say, the Twin Cities scene would be much the poorer—as would the artist himself. On lead single Hold My Tongue, he gives us our first look at this frightening alternate universe. Last Word‘s grimy, dissonant synth boardwork accompanies MaLLy as he spits, “...No plaques, no mics / F**k lobster, get a pizza and a cup of cold Sprite.” Atmosphere frontman Slug gets a little more abstract in his middle 16, and newcomer Rapper Hooks lends his frenetic flow to the final verse. The Colors of Black is slated to hit record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8. In the meantime, why not take a listen to MaLLy’s last project, November 2013’s Strange Rhythm mixtape?
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Last fall's Strange Rhythm, featured for streaming and download in the Booth, introduced Minneapolis buzzmaker MaLLy to a wider audience, cementing his status as a Midwestern rhymesayer to watch. With the follow-up, The...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.