In the classic Christmas flick It’s a Wonderful Life, a hopeless man played by Jimmy Stewart is on the verge of ending it all when he’s stopped by an angel, who shows him how grim his neighbors’ lives would be if it weren’t for his influence. On his sophomore album, Minneapolis emcee MaLLy poses a similar question: what if he’d never picked up the mic? Needless to say, the Twin Cities scene would be much the poorer—as would the artist himself. On lead single Hold My Tongue, he gives us our first look at this frightening alternate universe. Last Word‘s grimy, dissonant synth boardwork accompanies MaLLy as he spits, “...No plaques, no mics / F**k lobster, get a pizza and a cup of cold Sprite.” Atmosphere frontman Slug gets a little more abstract in his middle 16, and newcomer Rapper Hooks lends his frenetic flow to the final verse. The Colors of Black is slated to hit record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8. In the meantime, why not take a listen to MaLLy’s last project, November 2013’s Strange Rhythm mixtape?
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.