In the classic Christmas flick It’s a Wonderful Life, a hopeless man played by Jimmy Stewart is on the verge of ending it all when he’s stopped by an angel, who shows him how grim his neighbors’ lives would be if it weren’t for his influence. On his sophomore album, Minneapolis emcee MaLLy poses a similar question: what if he’d never picked up the mic? Needless to say, the Twin Cities scene would be much the poorer—as would the artist himself. On lead single Hold My Tongue, he gives us our first look at this frightening alternate universe. Last Word‘s grimy, dissonant synth boardwork accompanies MaLLy as he spits, “...No plaques, no mics / F**k lobster, get a pizza and a cup of cold Sprite.” Atmosphere frontman Slug gets a little more abstract in his middle 16, and newcomer Rapper Hooks lends his frenetic flow to the final verse. The Colors of Black is slated to hit record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8. In the meantime, why not take a listen to MaLLy’s last project, November 2013’s Strange Rhythm mixtape?
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Last fall's Strange Rhythm, featured for streaming and download in the Booth, introduced Minneapolis buzzmaker MaLLy to a wider audience, cementing his status as a Midwestern rhymesayer to watch. With the follow-up, The...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.