Decades down the line, when you’re living out your twilight years in a futuristic old folks’ home, whose music are you going to flip on to prove just how much doper 2010s hip-hop was than the garbage your great-grandkids listen to? Minnea-ap repper MaLLy, for one, is hoping it’ll be his. On his latest single, premiered yesterday via Prefix, the underground up-and-comer hooks up with a fellow Twin Cities rhymesayer (and freestyle alum) to show listeners what a “Future’s Classic” sounds like. Reginald “Rem” Morin takes an appropriately timeless tack on the production tip, layering retro-futuristic synths over a head-noddable break (and tossing in that oft-flipped “Louder!” from Mountain’s Long Red break for good measure) as the part-time rap revolutionary fills us in on just how big he’s fixing to do it: “Hostile, rock a white collar by the day, when I leave I’m concerned about fatherin’ the game.” Local crew 925ve‘s Tigre Coles does a little self-mythologizing of his own on the back, describing himself as, “...a 5’8” no-name turned into a 12-ton elephant.” This joint isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest from this ambitious rap hopeful.
Written by richard on 02/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.