Nationally, Minnesota is best known for being really f**king cold. But frostbite is by no means the scariest thing lurking in the streets of Minneapolis. If you cross MaLLY or a member of his circle, you’ll quickly learn why they call it the City of Fear. OK, I haven’t heard anyone besides the artist himself refer to it by that name but, after a listen to this freshly-minted single, I can’t argue with the appellation. In vivid verses, the Midwest buzzmaker imagines himself as a street soldier in a decaying urban dystopia. His bars sizzle with menacing urgency, and project collaborator Last Word heightens that ominous vibe behind the boards, using driving percussion, syncopated samples and staccato synth-bass to ratchet up the tension. For this cut, the reader-approved Hold My Tongue and much more, cop the emcee’s The Colors of Black LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8.
Written by richard on 03/31/14
Last fall's Strange Rhythm, featured for streaming and download in the Booth, introduced Minneapolis buzzmaker MaLLy to a wider audience, cementing his status as a Midwestern rhymesayer to watch. With the follow-up, The...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.