Nationally, Minnesota is best known for being really f**king cold. But frostbite is by no means the scariest thing lurking in the streets of Minneapolis. If you cross MaLLY or a member of his circle, you’ll quickly learn why they call it the City of Fear. OK, I haven’t heard anyone besides the artist himself refer to it by that name but, after a listen to this freshly-minted single, I can’t argue with the appellation. In vivid verses, the Midwest buzzmaker imagines himself as a street soldier in a decaying urban dystopia. His bars sizzle with menacing urgency, and project collaborator Last Word heightens that ominous vibe behind the boards, using driving percussion, syncopated samples and staccato synth-bass to ratchet up the tension. For this cut, the reader-approved Hold My Tongue and much more, cop the emcee’s The Colors of Black LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Tuesday, April 8.
Written by richard on 03/31/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My People" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.