Booth newcomer Malik Yusef is an artist with one foot on either side of the fuzzy line between rap and spoken word poetry; fortunately, he’s also an artist who thrives on tricky dualities. His latest project, presented in conjunction with G.O.O.D. Music boss Kanye West, is a two-disc set (12 tracks each, corresponding to the AM and PM hours in a day), centered around the conflict between one’s higher and lower selves. That theme couldn’t be more central to Magic Man, a cut that finds Yusef, Kanye, and fellow G.O.O.D. musician Common to tell the tale of a woman figuratively “cut in half,” torn between true love and the wiles of a game-spitting trickster—at least, that’s the short version. Whether you choose to delve deeply into the high-concept lyrical content or simply sit back and enjoy Kanye’s chilled-out instrumental, complete with hook and backing vocals by John Legend, Magic Man is a compelling listen—if you find yourself intrigued, be sure to pick up a copy of G.O.O.D. Morning, G.O.O.D. Night May 26th, or click here to learn how you can win an autographed set.
Written by richard on 04/26/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.