Booth newcomer Malik Yusef is an artist with one foot on either side of the fuzzy line between rap and spoken word poetry; fortunately, he’s also an artist who thrives on tricky dualities. His latest project, presented in conjunction with G.O.O.D. Music boss Kanye West, is a two-disc set (12 tracks each, corresponding to the AM and PM hours in a day), centered around the conflict between one’s higher and lower selves. That theme couldn’t be more central to Magic Man, a cut that finds Yusef, Kanye, and fellow G.O.O.D. musician Common to tell the tale of a woman figuratively “cut in half,” torn between true love and the wiles of a game-spitting trickster—at least, that’s the short version. Whether you choose to delve deeply into the high-concept lyrical content or simply sit back and enjoy Kanye’s chilled-out instrumental, complete with hook and backing vocals by John Legend, Magic Man is a compelling listen—if you find yourself intrigued, be sure to pick up a copy of G.O.O.D. Morning, G.O.O.D. Night May 26th, or click here to learn how you can win an autographed set.
Written by richard on 04/26/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.