Booth newcomer Malik Yusef is an artist with one foot on either side of the fuzzy line between rap and spoken word poetry; fortunately, he’s also an artist who thrives on tricky dualities. His latest project, presented in conjunction with G.O.O.D. Music boss Kanye West, is a two-disc set (12 tracks each, corresponding to the AM and PM hours in a day), centered around the conflict between one’s higher and lower selves. That theme couldn’t be more central to Magic Man, a cut that finds Yusef, Kanye, and fellow G.O.O.D. musician Common to tell the tale of a woman figuratively “cut in half,” torn between true love and the wiles of a game-spitting trickster—at least, that’s the short version. Whether you choose to delve deeply into the high-concept lyrical content or simply sit back and enjoy Kanye’s chilled-out instrumental, complete with hook and backing vocals by John Legend, Magic Man is a compelling listen—if you find yourself intrigued, be sure to pick up a copy of G.O.O.D. Morning, G.O.O.D. Night May 26th, or click here to learn how you can win an autographed set.
Written by richard on 04/26/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)