Booth newcomer Malik Yusef is an artist with one foot on either side of the fuzzy line between rap and spoken word poetry; fortunately, he’s also an artist who thrives on tricky dualities. His latest project, presented in conjunction with G.O.O.D. Music boss Kanye West, is a two-disc set (12 tracks each, corresponding to the AM and PM hours in a day), centered around the conflict between one’s higher and lower selves. That theme couldn’t be more central to Magic Man, a cut that finds Yusef, Kanye, and fellow G.O.O.D. musician Common to tell the tale of a woman figuratively “cut in half,” torn between true love and the wiles of a game-spitting trickster—at least, that’s the short version. Whether you choose to delve deeply into the high-concept lyrical content or simply sit back and enjoy Kanye’s chilled-out instrumental, complete with hook and backing vocals by John Legend, Magic Man is a compelling listen—if you find yourself intrigued, be sure to pick up a copy of G.O.O.D. Morning, G.O.O.D. Night May 26th, or click here to learn how you can win an autographed set.
Written by richard on 04/26/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.