Back in 2011, producer and recording artist Malek achieved viral fame by composing a beat using nothing more than a Pepsi bottle. Contrary to what the title might suggest, Booth debut Back to the Basics finds the San Francisco native drawing from a considerably less restricted musical arsenal, but the ingenious, economical sensibility he showcased in the aforementioned video is equally evident on this newly-released single. Over an intricate, yet spacious blend of strings, synths and percussion, the artist addresses plaintive verses to a woman who recently walked out of his life. Though the record’s vibe is tastefully understated, its diverse elements come together to deliver a potent emotional kick. Interest piqued? This is just one of many fresh songs and instrumentals included on the artist’s sophomore street album, Opus, available now.
Written by richard on 07/28/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.