Back in 2011, producer and recording artist Malek achieved viral fame by composing a beat using nothing more than a Pepsi bottle. Contrary to what the title might suggest, Booth debut Back to the Basics finds the San Francisco native drawing from a considerably less restricted musical arsenal, but the ingenious, economical sensibility he showcased in the aforementioned video is equally evident on this newly-released single. Over an intricate, yet spacious blend of strings, synths and percussion, the artist addresses plaintive verses to a woman who recently walked out of his life. Though the record’s vibe is tastefully understated, its diverse elements come together to deliver a potent emotional kick. Interest piqued? This is just one of many fresh songs and instrumentals included on the artist’s sophomore street album, Opus, available now.
Written by richard on 07/28/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)