Back in 2011, producer and recording artist Malek achieved viral fame by composing a beat using nothing more than a Pepsi bottle. Contrary to what the title might suggest, Booth debut Back to the Basics finds the San Francisco native drawing from a considerably less restricted musical arsenal, but the ingenious, economical sensibility he showcased in the aforementioned video is equally evident on this newly-released single. Over an intricate, yet spacious blend of strings, synths and percussion, the artist addresses plaintive verses to a woman who recently walked out of his life. Though the record’s vibe is tastefully understated, its diverse elements come together to deliver a potent emotional kick. Interest piqued? This is just one of many fresh songs and instrumentals included on the artist’s sophomore street album, Opus, available now.
Written by richard on 07/28/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.