Back in 2011, producer and recording artist Malek achieved viral fame by composing a beat using nothing more than a Pepsi bottle. Contrary to what the title might suggest, Booth debut Back to the Basics finds the San Francisco native drawing from a considerably less restricted musical arsenal, but the ingenious, economical sensibility he showcased in the aforementioned video is equally evident on this newly-released single. Over an intricate, yet spacious blend of strings, synths and percussion, the artist addresses plaintive verses to a woman who recently walked out of his life. Though the record’s vibe is tastefully understated, its diverse elements come together to deliver a potent emotional kick. Interest piqued? This is just one of many fresh songs and instrumentals included on the artist’s sophomore street album, Opus, available now.
Written by richard on 07/28/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.