If you ever watched The Boondocks you may recall Huey Freeman saying “Being the bigger man is overrated,” before receiving a brutal headbutt from his former best friend. It’s never easy to take the high road after you’ve been betrayed by someone close you, which is something that Maino talks about candidly in his latest mixtape single I Still Love You. It’s a special kind of hurt that’s experienced when someone you care about turns their back on you, so hearing Maino tell those who have wronged him “I still love you” is rather humbling. He even admits to having thoughts of vanquishing his opponent, but it’s clear that the best solution is to step back and let karma do its work. With strong, moving production from DJ Green Lantern, the song is haunting without being too dark and honest without being overly emotional. It’s something that will resonate with the listener whether they’ve been betrayed or even if they were the betrayer. I Still Love You will be on Maino’s upcoming tape I Am Who I Am, dropping Thursday, January 26, which will preempt Maino’s The Day After Tomorrow album, reportedly set to be released this spring.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 01/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn For Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.