If you find a list of “Hip-Hop’s Biggest Goons,” chances are Maino will appear in the Top 10 (thanks in part to a certain altercation with Yung Berg). Knowing that his “rough” image could lead some to dismiss him as ‘just another gangsta rapper,’ the Brooklyn native has taken his latest feature as an opportunity to set the record straight. On LP cut Don’t Be Scared, Maino lets listeners know that, underneath his often-gruff demeanor lies a good-hearted man. David Banner contributes a downtempo, bass-heavy beat, complete with a hook sampled from Chris Brown‘s ‘08 hit, Get Like Me (something tells me Chris Breezy would like to deliver a similar message right about now). This track might not meet as warm a reception as some of Maino’s previous features, but the rapper’s heartfelt confessions are sure to strike a chord with many fans. For plenty of Maino’s trademark street anthems, as well as a few more introspective hits, be sure to pick up a copy of If Tomorrow Comes… when it finally drops June 30 (no more pushbacks this time)
Written by Burmy on 06/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn For Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.