In this year of breakout singles, perhaps no single has been more important to an artist’s career than Maino‘s Hi Hater. Made with no guest verses whatsoever (a rarity with today’s hip-hop hits) the song quickly caught on and has helped his long-awaited debut album (now entitled If Tomorrow Comes…) finally receive a solid release date. However, if there’s one thing that the Brooklyn native wants to make clear, it’s that he has no plans of turning Hollywood anytime soon; after all, what could possibly beat that Hood Love? Despite saying “f**k a record deal,” Maino gets a strong lift from Atlantic labelmate Trey Songz on background vocals, but still manages to be the dominant voice over Chris Styles and Marcus D’Tray‘s mid-tempo, street-oriented production. Hood Love is the second single from If Tomorrow Comes…, available in stores and online September 23.
Written by Burmy on 08/14/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn For Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.