In this year of breakout singles, perhaps no single has been more important to an artist’s career than Maino‘s Hi Hater. Made with no guest verses whatsoever (a rarity with today’s hip-hop hits) the song quickly caught on and has helped his long-awaited debut album (now entitled If Tomorrow Comes…) finally receive a solid release date. However, if there’s one thing that the Brooklyn native wants to make clear, it’s that he has no plans of turning Hollywood anytime soon; after all, what could possibly beat that Hood Love? Despite saying “f**k a record deal,” Maino gets a strong lift from Atlantic labelmate Trey Songz on background vocals, but still manages to be the dominant voice over Chris Styles and Marcus D’Tray‘s mid-tempo, street-oriented production. Hood Love is the second single from If Tomorrow Comes…, available in stores and online September 23.
Written by Burmy on 08/14/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn For Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.