When rapper MaG says This Ain’t Rap, he means it in a Dead Prez, “it’s bigger than hip-hop” kind of way, in a Magritte “this is not a pipe” kind of way. For those who don’t know those references and/or are too lazy to Google, let me really break it down. MaG, a Bronx-born emcee who’s making his DJBooth debut with This Ain’t Rap, is saying that although the track’s soulfully banging beat, courtesy of Remot, certainly sounds like rap, and his smoothly flowing, lyrically solid rhymes definitely sound like rap, his music is more than just rap. Sure his “Hov, let me take those reins” proclamations are a little premature, but I’m sure the Booth will agree quality music like this can’t be confined to the narrow boundaries of “rap.” For more not-just-hip-hop be sure to check out MaG’s upcoming project I Ain’t Goin’ Back to Retail!, due to hit the interwebs on December 22.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rich and Famous (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.