When rapper MaG says This Ain’t Rap, he means it in a Dead Prez, “it’s bigger than hip-hop” kind of way, in a Magritte “this is not a pipe” kind of way. For those who don’t know those references and/or are too lazy to Google, let me really break it down. MaG, a Bronx-born emcee who’s making his DJBooth debut with This Ain’t Rap, is saying that although the track’s soulfully banging beat, courtesy of Remot, certainly sounds like rap, and his smoothly flowing, lyrically solid rhymes definitely sound like rap, his music is more than just rap. Sure his “Hov, let me take those reins” proclamations are a little premature, but I’m sure the Booth will agree quality music like this can’t be confined to the narrow boundaries of “rap.” For more not-just-hip-hop be sure to check out MaG’s upcoming project I Ain’t Goin’ Back to Retail!, due to hit the interwebs on December 22.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rich and Famous (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.