Heads all seem to agree that there was a Golden Age of hip-hop, but everyone has his or her own idea of where precisely that sweet spot lies. On his latest single, Foreign Exchange Student emcee Maffew Ragazino reveals that, if he could freeze-frame hip-hop, he would pick sometime right around 1995. As it stands, he’s satisfied with keeping the era’s sound and spirit alive in his music. On this unreleased joint, Maffew brings back Hi-Tek‘s classic boardwork from the Common and Sadat X record 1999, and the Brownsville, N.Y. emcee supplies nostalgic rhymes to match, describing a magical time when the music was hard and artistic integrity was king. Resolving to stay true to his vision without regard to the game’s ever-changing fads and fashions, he spits:“I’d tighten my belt before I’d sell out for my relevance, and money and fame and all the perks that come with it.” Michigan repper (and freestyle alum) Jon Connor guests on the back, bringing the joint to a close with a breathless torrent of retro imagery. Though not attached to any forthcoming project, 1995 is sure to leave old-school heads (and the old at heart) hungry for more. If that sounds like you, stay tuned to the Booth for the latest from both collaborators.
Written by richard on 04/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Foreign Exchange Student" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.