Though first-time featuree Maffew Ragazino refers to himself as a Foreign Exchange Student on his latest single, I have a feeling Booth readers won’t have any trouble bridging the culture gap… mostly because there isn’t one. Hailing from Brownsville, New York, the up-and-comer exhibits a style firmly rooted in old-school hip-hop – the only thing foreign about him is his exotically fly wardrobe. Keivan Mack keeps it retro on the production tip, putting his own spin on the swanky, sampled beat that backed Top Quality’s ‘93 cut Magnum Opus. On the lyrical tip Ragazino breathes fresh new life into the oft-addressed topic of haute couture, mixing brand-namedrops with more general braggadocio: “More styles than Vinnie, call me your Uncle Paulie / I was born fly, your wings are so faulty.“ Digging this newcomer’s globetrotting style? Then keep it locked for future entries in the artist’s weekly Money And Fame Fuel Everybody’s Wednesday series, as well as release details on his forthcoming album (due out in the first quarter of 2011).
Written by richard on 12/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.