Though first-time featuree Maffew Ragazino refers to himself as a Foreign Exchange Student on his latest single, I have a feeling Booth readers won’t have any trouble bridging the culture gap… mostly because there isn’t one. Hailing from Brownsville, New York, the up-and-comer exhibits a style firmly rooted in old-school hip-hop – the only thing foreign about him is his exotically fly wardrobe. Keivan Mack keeps it retro on the production tip, putting his own spin on the swanky, sampled beat that backed Top Quality’s ‘93 cut Magnum Opus. On the lyrical tip Ragazino breathes fresh new life into the oft-addressed topic of haute couture, mixing brand-namedrops with more general braggadocio: “More styles than Vinnie, call me your Uncle Paulie / I was born fly, your wings are so faulty.“ Digging this newcomer’s globetrotting style? Then keep it locked for future entries in the artist’s weekly Money And Fame Fuel Everybody’s Wednesday series, as well as release details on his forthcoming album (due out in the first quarter of 2011).
Written by richard on 12/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.