Underground-renowned beatsmith Madlib was one busy man over the course of 2010, releasing a new mixtape each and every month as part of his Madlib Medicine Show series. Well, almost every month – installment #9 was skipped over, leaving a glaring hole in the edifice. Today, we get a preliminary taste of that phantom project, actually a full-length collaboration with underground emcee (and Booth newcomer) Frank Nitti, What Can U Tell Me. Here, Madlib’s hazy, synth-laced boom-bap boardwork sets a headnodically hazy mood as the Motown representative sets out to prove that he’s “on the verge of greatness,” in an opening verse packed with breathless braggadocio. Oxnard, California native MED (Madlib’s Stones Throw labelmate) lends his more hard-nosed flows to the record’s latter half, inviting listeners to “say cheers and toast to the utmost” in honor of his accomplishments.This fresh selection, of course, is only the tip of the iceberg that is the long-awaited Channel 85 Presents NittyVille, scheduled for release on CD May 17, followed by a deluxe three-disc vinyl edition on May 31.
Written by richard on 04/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.