Underground-renowned beatsmith Madlib was one busy man over the course of 2010, releasing a new mixtape each and every month as part of his Madlib Medicine Show series. Well, almost every month – installment #9 was skipped over, leaving a glaring hole in the edifice. Today, we get a preliminary taste of that phantom project, actually a full-length collaboration with underground emcee (and Booth newcomer) Frank Nitti, What Can U Tell Me. Here, Madlib’s hazy, synth-laced boom-bap boardwork sets a headnodically hazy mood as the Motown representative sets out to prove that he’s “on the verge of greatness,” in an opening verse packed with breathless braggadocio. Oxnard, California native MED (Madlib’s Stones Throw labelmate) lends his more hard-nosed flows to the record’s latter half, inviting listeners to “say cheers and toast to the utmost” in honor of his accomplishments.This fresh selection, of course, is only the tip of the iceberg that is the long-awaited Channel 85 Presents NittyVille, scheduled for release on CD May 17, followed by a deluxe three-disc vinyl edition on May 31.
Written by richard on 04/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.