Back in 1992, the late, great Guru laced Gang Starr B-Side DWYCK with one of the finest non sequiturs in hip-hop history: “Lemonade Was a Popular Drink and it still is.” More than twenty years later, the refreshing beverage is still a warm-weather staple—a fact which NYC spitter MadKem celebrates on his latest EP single. On this head-noddable cut, the Soulspazm/Elementality Productions signee gives the enigmatic line a little context, using it as a springboard for recollections of summer months spent on the hustle. Darren Paul produces the record’s bittersweet boom-bap backdrop. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on forthcoming full-length Kola La Vie, scheduled for release November 5. (An EP version is available online as of February.) Fans can still stream the artist’s last project, August’s La Vie en Bleu, for free in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/17/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Malcolm Browne (The BQE Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.