Back in 1992, the late, great Guru laced Gang Starr B-Side DWYCK with one of the finest non sequiturs in hip-hop history: “Lemonade Was a Popular Drink and it still is.” More than twenty years later, the refreshing beverage is still a warm-weather staple—a fact which NYC spitter MadKem celebrates on his latest EP single. On this head-noddable cut, the Soulspazm/Elementality Productions signee gives the enigmatic line a little context, using it as a springboard for recollections of summer months spent on the hustle. Darren Paul produces the record’s bittersweet boom-bap backdrop. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on forthcoming full-length Kola La Vie, scheduled for release November 5. (An EP version is available online as of February.) Fans can still stream the artist’s last project, August’s La Vie en Bleu, for free in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/17/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Malcolm Browne (The BQE Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.