Back in 1992, the late, great Guru laced Gang Starr B-Side DWYCK with one of the finest non sequiturs in hip-hop history: “Lemonade Was a Popular Drink and it still is.” More than twenty years later, the refreshing beverage is still a warm-weather staple—a fact which NYC spitter MadKem celebrates on his latest EP single. On this head-noddable cut, the Soulspazm/Elementality Productions signee gives the enigmatic line a little context, using it as a springboard for recollections of summer months spent on the hustle. Darren Paul produces the record’s bittersweet boom-bap backdrop. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on forthcoming full-length Kola La Vie, scheduled for release November 5. (An EP version is available online as of February.) Fans can still stream the artist’s last project, August’s La Vie en Bleu, for free in The DJBooth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Malcolm Browne (The BQE Remix)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!