Way back in December 2008, Oslo rap duo Madcon introduced themselves to the Booth with Beggin, a left-of-center jam inspired by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons’ ‘67 hit of the same name. Nearly five years later, Yosef Wolde-Mariam and Tshawe Baqwa are on some very different ish than they were at the end of the Bush era (I’d use a Norwegian political reference, but it turns out they’ve had the same Prime Minister in office since 2005). As evidence of just how different, I refer you to their latest single, which finds them putting their own spin on the ever-popular “YOLO” philosophy. Backed by the radio-ready synth boardwork of TJ Oosterhuis, they consel listeners, “You’re only given One Life, so live it up.” Fresh off stepping into the Booth with her own latest single, Dirty Laundry, Destiny’s Child alum Kelly Rowland provides hook and backing vocals. Are you digging Madcon’s poppier new direction? If so, you can watch our pages for the latest on forthcoming full-length Icon, which has yet to receive a release date from the label brass.
Written by richard on 05/15/13
Submit your Rating
Icon Recordings/Sony Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.