On paper, pairing lush, hip-hop-informed grooves with lead violin seems like a strange idea – and, in a way, it is. Of course, it’s hard to focus on how out-of-the-ordinary Ashanti “The Mad Violinist” Floyd’s modus operandi is when the result is as beautiful as his Booth debut, Kiss the Sky. If that joint left you misty-eyed, then you’ll want to bust out the hankies for this one; new single Muzik is an equally emotion-drenched affair. Though the headliner’s expressive soloing is, as you’d expect, the main attraction, each member of the Symphony Crack Orchestra gets his chance to shine. Chris Morgan‘s piano/key accompaniment adds to the emotional resonance throughout, percussionist Casey Corgan and bassist Mikey Belluso provide a subtle, constantly-shifting rhythm section, and axe-slinger Matt Barrett‘s throws some harder-rocking vibes into the mix as the record reaches its climax. The result is fresh, poignant and likely to leave lovers of out-the-box sounds craving more. If that sounds like you, you’ll be able to feed The Addiction this November, when the Mad Violinist’s latest full-length hits stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 09/17/10
Submit your Rating
Symphony Crack/The Building Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Kiss the Sky" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.