Judging by the title of Macy Gray‘s latest buzz single, one would expect the record to be some sort of catfighters’ anthem, but the sandpaper-voiced singer is full of surprises; continuing in the hedonistic vein of her last Booth feature, Cocaine Sex Slap a B*tch focuses on blows traded not in aggression but in pursuit of a sadomasochistic thrill. In the song’s opening lines, Gray describes her sexual awakening at the age of eight, and she pulls no punches from there on in, proceeding to recount the various ways in which she’s gotten her kicks in the years since. As an unapologetically explicit tale told from the female perspective, Slap a B*tch is a refreshing change of pace and a welcome reminder that Gray can talk dirty with the best of them. Fans of the singer’s more club-centric material will be pleased by Jared Gosselin and Phillip White electro-tinged production, though those hoping for a neo-soul return to form will undoubtedly be disappointed. Slap a B*tch can be found on Macy Gray’s forthcoming SNAC (The EP) (Vol. 1), which is set to drop in the first quarter of ‘09.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only in the Dark ft. The Game" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.