Whether you think Macy Gray sounds more like Billie Holiday or like nails on a chalkboard, you have to concede one point: the woman does her own thing on the mic. After winning a Grammy for her single I Try in 2001 and receiving rave reviews for the majority of her subsequent work, she is once again trying to find her way back to the top of the R&B charts with Only In the Dark, her new white-label track, a single-only EP. Featuring hard-hitting production by Jared Lee (of Almost September) and a verse about nothing in particular by The Game, Only In the Dark actually has very little to do with Macy Gray. Her raspy voice is more of a sideshow than the main attraction, as it makes only a brief appearance in eight racy bars and the hook. Is this the return Macy Gray fans have been waiting for, or is it just another filler track from the talented artist?
Written by Charlie E. on 05/27/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cocaine Sex ft. Sticky Fingaz" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.