For a kid brought up on hoop dreams, a fresh pair of kicks can seem as magical as Perseus’ winged sandals – the only difference is, instead of flying home victorious with a gorgon’s head as your trophy, you’re hurtling through the air to perform a flawless jump shot. Of course, as emcee Macklemore explains on new single Wings, nothing is quite what it seems in the world of consumer capitalism. Here, the Seattle native who exposed the dark side of syrup-sipping on Otherside spins a similar cautionary tale about the dangers of swallowing marketing hype. Ryan Lewis reprises his role behind the boards, crafting a slowly-building, piano-led beat (complete with a children’s choir-assisted chorus) as the emcee takes us back to his grade-school days, describing how his elation on acquiring a new pair of Nike AirMax turned to horror and eventually disgust after a friend was murdered for his shoes. A poignant reality check in the often-materialistic world of hip-hop, this thought-provoking joint is set for inclusion on a yet-untitled project set to drop “soon.” Keep it locked for further details!
Written by richard on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.