For a kid brought up on hoop dreams, a fresh pair of kicks can seem as magical as Perseus’ winged sandals – the only difference is, instead of flying home victorious with a gorgon’s head as your trophy, you’re hurtling through the air to perform a flawless jump shot. Of course, as emcee Macklemore explains on new single Wings, nothing is quite what it seems in the world of consumer capitalism. Here, the Seattle native who exposed the dark side of syrup-sipping on Otherside spins a similar cautionary tale about the dangers of swallowing marketing hype. Ryan Lewis reprises his role behind the boards, crafting a slowly-building, piano-led beat (complete with a children’s choir-assisted chorus) as the emcee takes us back to his grade-school days, describing how his elation on acquiring a new pair of Nike AirMax turned to horror and eventually disgust after a friend was murdered for his shoes. A poignant reality check in the often-materialistic world of hip-hop, this thought-provoking joint is set for inclusion on a yet-untitled project set to drop “soon.” Keep it locked for further details!
Written by richard on 01/23/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.