For a kid brought up on hoop dreams, a fresh pair of kicks can seem as magical as Perseus’ winged sandals – the only difference is, instead of flying home victorious with a gorgon’s head as your trophy, you’re hurtling through the air to perform a flawless jump shot. Of course, as emcee Macklemore explains on new single Wings, nothing is quite what it seems in the world of consumer capitalism. Here, the Seattle native who exposed the dark side of syrup-sipping on Otherside spins a similar cautionary tale about the dangers of swallowing marketing hype. Ryan Lewis reprises his role behind the boards, crafting a slowly-building, piano-led beat (complete with a children’s choir-assisted chorus) as the emcee takes us back to his grade-school days, describing how his elation on acquiring a new pair of Nike AirMax turned to horror and eventually disgust after a friend was murdered for his shoes. A poignant reality check in the often-materialistic world of hip-hop, this thought-provoking joint is set for inclusion on a yet-untitled project set to drop “soon.” Keep it locked for further details!
Written by richard on 01/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.