Way back in November ‘09, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis introduced themselves to the Booth with Otherside, a cautionary cut which found the Seattle emcee-producer duo warning listeners of the devastating effects of syrup, and pleading with rappers to consider the effects of their words on young fans. The message, of course, is one that can’t be repeated often enough – so we couldn’t be happier to announce that the joint is back in remixed form. Macklemore’s rhymes are retained, but Lewis takes a different direction behind the boards, replacing the original‘s driving, Red Hot Chili Peppers-sampled backdrop with a mournfully melodic beat featuring strings, delicate piano chords, and a full backing choir. As if that weren’t heartstring-tugging enough, Washingtonian singer-songwiter Chris “Fences” Manfields jumps on board to deliver the coup de grace in the form of a nakedly emotional chorus. While it’s up for debate how this version stacks up against the original, its emotional force is undeniable. Fans of the duo will be able to hear both on Macklemore and Lewis’ forthcoming VS EP re-release, set to hit the ‘net October 26.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.