Way back in November ‘09, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis introduced themselves to the Booth with Otherside, a cautionary cut which found the Seattle emcee-producer duo warning listeners of the devastating effects of syrup, and pleading with rappers to consider the effects of their words on young fans. The message, of course, is one that can’t be repeated often enough – so we couldn’t be happier to announce that the joint is back in remixed form. Macklemore’s rhymes are retained, but Lewis takes a different direction behind the boards, replacing the original‘s driving, Red Hot Chili Peppers-sampled backdrop with a mournfully melodic beat featuring strings, delicate piano chords, and a full backing choir. As if that weren’t heartstring-tugging enough, Washingtonian singer-songwiter Chris “Fences” Manfields jumps on board to deliver the coup de grace in the form of a nakedly emotional chorus. While it’s up for debate how this version stacks up against the original, its emotional force is undeniable. Fans of the duo will be able to hear both on Macklemore and Lewis’ forthcoming VS EP re-release, set to hit the ‘net October 26.
Written by richard on 10/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.