Way back in November ‘09, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis introduced themselves to the Booth with Otherside, a cautionary cut which found the Seattle emcee-producer duo warning listeners of the devastating effects of syrup, and pleading with rappers to consider the effects of their words on young fans. The message, of course, is one that can’t be repeated often enough – so we couldn’t be happier to announce that the joint is back in remixed form. Macklemore’s rhymes are retained, but Lewis takes a different direction behind the boards, replacing the original‘s driving, Red Hot Chili Peppers-sampled backdrop with a mournfully melodic beat featuring strings, delicate piano chords, and a full backing choir. As if that weren’t heartstring-tugging enough, Washingtonian singer-songwiter Chris “Fences” Manfields jumps on board to deliver the coup de grace in the form of a nakedly emotional chorus. While it’s up for debate how this version stacks up against the original, its emotional force is undeniable. Fans of the duo will be able to hear both on Macklemore and Lewis’ forthcoming VS EP re-release, set to hit the ‘net October 26.
Written by richard on 10/20/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.