I still can’t kick the habit of going old school and making CDs for friends that want new music. I’ve found, though, that most of my mix CDs have one superior quality artist, who diminishes the quality of the others, and the name that comes up time and time again is this regard is Macklemore. Can’t Hold Us, the new promo single with his other-artistic-half Ryan Lewis, to put it bluntly, is damn good in just about every sense. Lewis keeps ears guessing with a beat that includes the ivory keys and a stunning brass section, while feature singer Ray Dalton delivers a soulful showing on its own accord. And Macklemore? The still-unsigned artist (yup, you read that right) shows a less somber side while remaining all the more powerful with lines like “I grew up really wanting gold fronts, but that’s what you get when Wu-Tang raised you”. If this can’t hold you back from more on this duo, be sure to keep a lookout for them dropping great music here on DJBooth.
Written by Sigurd on 08/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.