I still can’t kick the habit of going old school and making CDs for friends that want new music. I’ve found, though, that most of my mix CDs have one superior quality artist, who diminishes the quality of the others, and the name that comes up time and time again is this regard is Macklemore. Can’t Hold Us, the new promo single with his other-artistic-half Ryan Lewis, to put it bluntly, is damn good in just about every sense. Lewis keeps ears guessing with a beat that includes the ivory keys and a stunning brass section, while feature singer Ray Dalton delivers a soulful showing on its own accord. And Macklemore? The still-unsigned artist (yup, you read that right) shows a less somber side while remaining all the more powerful with lines like “I grew up really wanting gold fronts, but that’s what you get when Wu-Tang raised you”. If this can’t hold you back from more on this duo, be sure to keep a lookout for them dropping great music here on DJBooth.
Written by Sigurd on 08/16/11
The Internet has changed so much about our lives – how we keep in touch with other people, how we shop, how we watch porn – but it’s absolutely re-written the way we discover new music. Back in the day, let’s say...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.