I still can’t kick the habit of going old school and making CDs for friends that want new music. I’ve found, though, that most of my mix CDs have one superior quality artist, who diminishes the quality of the others, and the name that comes up time and time again is this regard is Macklemore. Can’t Hold Us, the new promo single with his other-artistic-half Ryan Lewis, to put it bluntly, is damn good in just about every sense. Lewis keeps ears guessing with a beat that includes the ivory keys and a stunning brass section, while feature singer Ray Dalton delivers a soulful showing on its own accord. And Macklemore? The still-unsigned artist (yup, you read that right) shows a less somber side while remaining all the more powerful with lines like “I grew up really wanting gold fronts, but that’s what you get when Wu-Tang raised you”. If this can’t hold you back from more on this duo, be sure to keep a lookout for them dropping great music here on DJBooth.
Written by Sigurd on 08/16/11
The Internet has changed so much about our lives – how we keep in touch with other people, how we shop, how we watch porn – but it’s absolutely re-written the way we discover new music. Back in the day, let’s say...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.