The last hip-hop musical I can remember was that awful made-for-MTV version of Carmen starring Beyoncé and Mekhi Phifer. Hopefully ATL duo Mach Five can restore my faith in the concept, as the twosome are planning to release We Ballin, a short film/musical, very soon. They’re certainly off to a good start with Pimp Scholar, which features guest feature work by the buzzing Trindad Jame$. In addition to manning the hook, the Def Jam-signed young’n kicks off the record with a verse addressing the ever-popular topics of shoes, ladies and, of course, pimpin’. Jame$’ slurred delivery serves as a nice contrast to the charismatic, crystal-clear flows that emcees A.ware and Corey Davis showcase atop Roc Boy Music‘s soulful beat. Pimp Scholar is the first single off the soundtrack to We Balin, which drops next Tuesday and packs guest appearances from Donnis and Tuki Carter (to name a few).
Written by Lucas G. on 04/11/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.