The last hip-hop musical I can remember was that awful made-for-MTV version of Carmen starring Beyoncé and Mekhi Phifer. Hopefully ATL duo Mach Five can restore my faith in the concept, as the twosome are planning to release We Ballin, a short film/musical, very soon. They’re certainly off to a good start with Pimp Scholar, which features guest feature work by the buzzing Trindad Jame$. In addition to manning the hook, the Def Jam-signed young’n kicks off the record with a verse addressing the ever-popular topics of shoes, ladies and, of course, pimpin’. Jame$’ slurred delivery serves as a nice contrast to the charismatic, crystal-clear flows that emcees A.ware and Corey Davis showcase atop Roc Boy Music‘s soulful beat. Pimp Scholar is the first single off the soundtrack to We Balin, which drops next Tuesday and packs guest appearances from Donnis and Tuki Carter (to name a few).
Written by Lucas G. on 04/11/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.