The last hip-hop musical I can remember was that awful made-for-MTV version of Carmen starring Beyoncé and Mekhi Phifer. Hopefully ATL duo Mach Five can restore my faith in the concept, as the twosome are planning to release We Ballin, a short film/musical, very soon. They’re certainly off to a good start with Pimp Scholar, which features guest feature work by the buzzing Trindad Jame$. In addition to manning the hook, the Def Jam-signed young’n kicks off the record with a verse addressing the ever-popular topics of shoes, ladies and, of course, pimpin’. Jame$’ slurred delivery serves as a nice contrast to the charismatic, crystal-clear flows that emcees A.ware and Corey Davis showcase atop Roc Boy Music‘s soulful beat. Pimp Scholar is the first single off the soundtrack to We Balin, which drops next Tuesday and packs guest appearances from Donnis and Tuki Carter (to name a few).
Written by Lucas G. on 04/11/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.