In today’s accelerated music game, most rising rap stars don’t even feel the need to release an album before they start contemplating retirement, adopting alter egoes or announcing that they’re not actually rappers after all. In that light, it’s kinda surprising Mac Miller waited so long to let the crazy out. What the indie phenom lacks in timeliness, however, he makes up for in sheer originality; on These Dayz (Dope Awprah), the first of two new records he plans to release this week via Twitter, the Freestyle Series alum responds to his frustrations by pulling a Luciano Pavarotti. That’s right; the background of Larry Fisher‘s beat is built around samples of Mac attempting to “sing opera.” Why? Chalk it up to the pressures of celebrity. On the back, he vents, “They tell you what you gotta do / Everybody’s watching you / It makes you want to scream out in opera / I think I need to see a doctor.” He ends the record with a metaphysical rant that I’d need a whole ‘nother track review (at least) to unravel. While I can’t begin to guess the Booth’s reaction to this foray into avant-garde territory, it should certainly give fans something to talk about while they wait for his second release of the week. Keep it locked to the Booth for the latest on Pharrell collab Pink Slime (currently unscheduled), as well as Mac’s sophomore set, Movies With the Sound Off (coming in Q1 of 2013).
Written by richard on 10/16/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.