The selection of Mac Miller as DJBooth staff pick for Best Emcee of 2011 may have come as a surprise to many, but it’s not just us saying that he’s one of the most promising rhymesayers to hit the scene in a long minute; the Pittsburgh spitter also has some of rap’s most respected players in his corner. As proof I present album cut Of the Soul‘s newly-released official remix, which finds Miller joined by representatives of two legendary crews. Posdnous of De La Soul and Wu-Tang icon Raekwon handle the record’s front two-thirds, lacing ID Labs dreamy, piano-led sample work with, respectively, solid advice (“Just watch the game and make sure it doesn’t swallow your soul.”) and protective tough-talk (“F*ckin’ with my favorite white boy you’ll have your head hit a brick.”). Miller closes proceedings on a high note, proving himself more than worthy of his illustrious company in an allusive, tightly-wound new closing 16. Fans can find Of the Soul‘s album version and much more on Mac Miller’s 2011 freshman set, Blue Slide Park. Keep it locked for release details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled forthcoming mixtape, Macadelic.
Written by richard on 03/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.