Mac Miller‘s smash-hit debut full-length found the Pittsburgh rhymesayer giving listeners a guided tour of his favorite hometown haunts—from Frick Park Market to the titular Blue Slide Park. Turns out, however, that he didn’t manage to hit all the local hotspots in the course of an album. Fresh off being crowned Staff Pick for Emcee of the Year in the 2011 Best of the Booth Awards, the indie sensation returns with a new promo cut dedicated to his music retailer of choice, Jerry’s Record Store. Leaked via Twitter at midnight, this laid-back selection finds the rapper getting lost in thought over a lightly jazzy groove borrowed from A Tribe Called Quest DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad‘s remix of Scritti Politti and Mos Def‘s Tinseltown to the Boogiedown (complete with an outro pulled from a Beatnuts-produced rendition of the same record). Among the topics touched upon in Miller’s breezy, free-associative bars are his spiritual beliefs (“Believe in God but don’t believe religion.”), his musical influences (The blues and Lauryn Hill receive shout-outs.) and his taste in footwear (“On some shelltoes…”). Jerry’s Record Store is a stand-alone release but, as the artist helpfully reminds listeners on the back, his freshman full-length is available on iTunes for a mere $9.99.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.