Mac Miller‘s smash-hit debut full-length found the Pittsburgh rhymesayer giving listeners a guided tour of his favorite hometown haunts—from Frick Park Market to the titular Blue Slide Park. Turns out, however, that he didn’t manage to hit all the local hotspots in the course of an album. Fresh off being crowned Staff Pick for Emcee of the Year in the 2011 Best of the Booth Awards, the indie sensation returns with a new promo cut dedicated to his music retailer of choice, Jerry’s Record Store. Leaked via Twitter at midnight, this laid-back selection finds the rapper getting lost in thought over a lightly jazzy groove borrowed from A Tribe Called Quest DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad‘s remix of Scritti Politti and Mos Def‘s Tinseltown to the Boogiedown (complete with an outro pulled from a Beatnuts-produced rendition of the same record). Among the topics touched upon in Miller’s breezy, free-associative bars are his spiritual beliefs (“Believe in God but don’t believe religion.”), his musical influences (The blues and Lauryn Hill receive shout-outs.) and his taste in footwear (“On some shelltoes…”). Jerry’s Record Store is a stand-alone release but, as the artist helpfully reminds listeners on the back, his freshman full-length is available on iTunes for a mere $9.99.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.