Mac Miller‘s smash-hit debut full-length found the Pittsburgh rhymesayer giving listeners a guided tour of his favorite hometown haunts—from Frick Park Market to the titular Blue Slide Park. Turns out, however, that he didn’t manage to hit all the local hotspots in the course of an album. Fresh off being crowned Staff Pick for Emcee of the Year in the 2011 Best of the Booth Awards, the indie sensation returns with a new promo cut dedicated to his music retailer of choice, Jerry’s Record Store. Leaked via Twitter at midnight, this laid-back selection finds the rapper getting lost in thought over a lightly jazzy groove borrowed from A Tribe Called Quest DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad‘s remix of Scritti Politti and Mos Def‘s Tinseltown to the Boogiedown (complete with an outro pulled from a Beatnuts-produced rendition of the same record). Among the topics touched upon in Miller’s breezy, free-associative bars are his spiritual beliefs (“Believe in God but don’t believe religion.”), his musical influences (The blues and Lauryn Hill receive shout-outs.) and his taste in footwear (“On some shelltoes…”). Jerry’s Record Store is a stand-alone release but, as the artist helpfully reminds listeners on the back, his freshman full-length is available on iTunes for a mere $9.99.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.