Yeezy wasn’t the only rapper to make claims of divinity on a June 18, album release. Mac Miller took a slightly more oblique approach, quoting Exodus 3:14 in the title of LP inclusion and newly-selected single I Am Who Am (Killin’ Time). Unlike West, though, the indie phenom is more concerned with using his godlike powers to make a difference than lording (no pun intended) them over the competition. Backed by the dreamy sample work of beatmaker/deity AdoTheGod, Miller makes clear that he’s not just rocking mics for his own benefit: “I waste away in a room spittin’ these raps / Yahweh put the world in my hands; I’m givin’ it back.” Niki Randa provides ethereal hook and backing vocals, and Rex Arrow directs the joint’s meditative visuals. You can find I Am Who Am and countless other fresh cuts on Mac’s Watching Movies With the Sound Off LP, out now via Rostrum Records.
Written by richard on 07/23/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.