Yeezy wasn’t the only rapper to make claims of divinity on a June 18, album release. Mac Miller took a slightly more oblique approach, quoting Exodus 3:14 in the title of LP inclusion and newly-selected single I Am Who Am (Killin’ Time). Unlike West, though, the indie phenom is more concerned with using his godlike powers to make a difference than lording (no pun intended) them over the competition. Backed by the dreamy sample work of beatmaker/deity AdoTheGod, Miller makes clear that he’s not just rocking mics for his own benefit: “I waste away in a room spittin’ these raps / Yahweh put the world in my hands; I’m givin’ it back.” Niki Randa provides ethereal hook and backing vocals, and Rex Arrow directs the joint’s meditative visuals. You can find I Am Who Am and countless other fresh cuts on Mac’s Watching Movies With the Sound Off LP, out now via Rostrum Records.
Written by richard on 07/23/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.