Yeezy wasn’t the only rapper to make claims of divinity on a June 18, album release. Mac Miller took a slightly more oblique approach, quoting Exodus 3:14 in the title of LP inclusion and newly-selected single I Am Who Am (Killin’ Time). Unlike West, though, the indie phenom is more concerned with using his godlike powers to make a difference than lording (no pun intended) them over the competition. Backed by the dreamy sample work of beatmaker/deity AdoTheGod, Miller makes clear that he’s not just rocking mics for his own benefit: “I waste away in a room spittin’ these raps / Yahweh put the world in my hands; I’m givin’ it back.” Niki Randa provides ethereal hook and backing vocals, and Rex Arrow directs the joint’s meditative visuals. You can find I Am Who Am and countless other fresh cuts on Mac’s Watching Movies With the Sound Off LP, out now via Rostrum Records.
Written by richard on 07/23/13
When you attend a concert, you can always get a good idea of the performing artist by looking at their fan base. When you see Polos, skinny jeans, and a crowd ready to party, you are probably in for a high-energy hip-pop/frat...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)