With the increasing number of artists taking stylistic cues from the electro-pop superstar, it’s a wonder no one (to my knowledge) has flipped a sample of the track that launched Owl City into the spotlight. Until now, anyway; on his latest single and first Booth feature, Mac Miller says “Don’t Mind if I Do” and helps himself to the synth riff and chorus from monster hit Fireflies. Production crew The Watcherz’ make a few modifications to the sample, speeding things up and throwing in some punchier percussion. On the lyrical tip, Miller plays it a little bluer than the track’s cheery sound would suggest, indulging in some fine weed and boasting about his prodigious female appeal: “I’m the young’n hoes tryin’a make a baby with, ‘cause I’ll make ‘em rich…” It’s a shame that it all flies by in less than two minutes and 30 seconds – but hey, if the worst thing you can say about a cut is that it’s too short, you’ve most likely got a hit on your hands. In any case, fans will be able to hear plenty more where this came from on the Pittsburgh hopeful’s K.I.D.S. mixtape, set to hit the ‘net August 13.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pittsburgh Kidz Get the Biz" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.