With the increasing number of artists taking stylistic cues from the electro-pop superstar, it’s a wonder no one (to my knowledge) has flipped a sample of the track that launched Owl City into the spotlight. Until now, anyway; on his latest single and first Booth feature, Mac Miller says “Don’t Mind if I Do” and helps himself to the synth riff and chorus from monster hit Fireflies. Production crew The Watcherz’ make a few modifications to the sample, speeding things up and throwing in some punchier percussion. On the lyrical tip, Miller plays it a little bluer than the track’s cheery sound would suggest, indulging in some fine weed and boasting about his prodigious female appeal: “I’m the young’n hoes tryin’a make a baby with, ‘cause I’ll make ‘em rich…” It’s a shame that it all flies by in less than two minutes and 30 seconds – but hey, if the worst thing you can say about a cut is that it’s too short, you’ve most likely got a hit on your hands. In any case, fans will be able to hear plenty more where this came from on the Pittsburgh hopeful’s K.I.D.S. mixtape, set to hit the ‘net August 13.
Written by richard on 08/4/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pittsburgh Kidz Get the Biz" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.