While it’s tough to imagine hip-hop without the glittering chains, fly kicks, tricked-out automobiles, fat stacks of cash and jiggling booties that loom large in the genre’s visual lexicon, I don’t have to tell Booth readers that it’s deeper than All That. On a standout off Mac Miller‘s newly-released pre-album mixtape, the Pittsburgh phenom takes a moment to “say something real” and acknowledge that rap offers more than a pathway to fame and fortune—if used correctly, it has the power to “change the world.” Beatsmith E. Dan‘s tuneful synth production bumps in the back as the freestyle series alum makes clear that he’s in it out of love for the music and the fans. The rest is just gravy—delicious gravy, but gravy nonetheless. UGK lifer Bun B chimes in to remind us that hip-hop is about participation, shaking his head at those who front like they can spit, scratch, tag or break without truly practicing their craft. Does this lyrically on-point love letter to the genre leave you craving more? You’re in luck—released this past weekend, I Love Life, Thank You hit the ‘net for free download, paving the way for Blue Slide Park‘s arrival on Nov. 8.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.