While it’s tough to imagine hip-hop without the glittering chains, fly kicks, tricked-out automobiles, fat stacks of cash and jiggling booties that loom large in the genre’s visual lexicon, I don’t have to tell Booth readers that it’s deeper than All That. On a standout off Mac Miller‘s newly-released pre-album mixtape, the Pittsburgh phenom takes a moment to “say something real” and acknowledge that rap offers more than a pathway to fame and fortune—if used correctly, it has the power to “change the world.” Beatsmith E. Dan‘s tuneful synth production bumps in the back as the freestyle series alum makes clear that he’s in it out of love for the music and the fans. The rest is just gravy—delicious gravy, but gravy nonetheless. UGK lifer Bun B chimes in to remind us that hip-hop is about participation, shaking his head at those who front like they can spit, scratch, tag or break without truly practicing their craft. Does this lyrically on-point love letter to the genre leave you craving more? You’re in luck—released this past weekend, I Love Life, Thank You hit the ‘net for free download, paving the way for Blue Slide Park‘s arrival on Nov. 8.
Written by richard on 10/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.