While it’s tough to imagine hip-hop without the glittering chains, fly kicks, tricked-out automobiles, fat stacks of cash and jiggling booties that loom large in the genre’s visual lexicon, I don’t have to tell Booth readers that it’s deeper than All That. On a standout off Mac Miller‘s newly-released pre-album mixtape, the Pittsburgh phenom takes a moment to “say something real” and acknowledge that rap offers more than a pathway to fame and fortune—if used correctly, it has the power to “change the world.” Beatsmith E. Dan‘s tuneful synth production bumps in the back as the freestyle series alum makes clear that he’s in it out of love for the music and the fans. The rest is just gravy—delicious gravy, but gravy nonetheless. UGK lifer Bun B chimes in to remind us that hip-hop is about participation, shaking his head at those who front like they can spit, scratch, tag or break without truly practicing their craft. Does this lyrically on-point love letter to the genre leave you craving more? You’re in luck—released this past weekend, I Love Life, Thank You hit the ‘net for free download, paving the way for Blue Slide Park‘s arrival on Nov. 8.
Written by richard on 10/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Mind if I Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.