If it’s a bright, sunshiney day and you’re feeling on top of the world, you may want to put off listening to M-Dot‘s latest feature – there’s a distinct possibility it may bum you out. If, on the other hand, you woke up to dishwater-gray skies and rainshowers, then now might be the perfect time for a little Self-Reflection. Backed by the forlorn strings of Pauly Fingaz, the Boston mainstay takes a brutally honest look in the mirror. Did I say “brutally honest?” On second thought, it’s just plain brutal; he begins by telling himself “What’s the point? Pack up and pick up / It’s over – quit now, give up” and proceeds to catalog his self-doubts and insecurities, from his lack of a “real job” to the possibility that his so-called friends don’t actually care about him. Fortunately, his (surprisingly deep-voiced) conscience jumps in on the back, warning him to “block out… that nonsense” and keep grinding. Downbeat but ultimately cathartic, this introspective banger should ring familiar to anyone who’s dealt with the blues. Those digging it can hear more on M-Dot’s Booth-sponsored Making Doubters Over Think mixtape, set to drop Dec. 7.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Be" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.