If it’s a bright, sunshiney day and you’re feeling on top of the world, you may want to put off listening to M-Dot‘s latest feature – there’s a distinct possibility it may bum you out. If, on the other hand, you woke up to dishwater-gray skies and rainshowers, then now might be the perfect time for a little Self-Reflection. Backed by the forlorn strings of Pauly Fingaz, the Boston mainstay takes a brutally honest look in the mirror. Did I say “brutally honest?” On second thought, it’s just plain brutal; he begins by telling himself “What’s the point? Pack up and pick up / It’s over – quit now, give up” and proceeds to catalog his self-doubts and insecurities, from his lack of a “real job” to the possibility that his so-called friends don’t actually care about him. Fortunately, his (surprisingly deep-voiced) conscience jumps in on the back, warning him to “block out… that nonsense” and keep grinding. Downbeat but ultimately cathartic, this introspective banger should ring familiar to anyone who’s dealt with the blues. Those digging it can hear more on M-Dot’s Booth-sponsored Making Doubters Over Think mixtape, set to drop Dec. 7.
Written by richard on 11/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Be" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.