My road to DJBooth.net superstardom wasn’t an easy one. Though nobody believed I could make it in the cold and unforgiving world of track reviews, I always knew I had something special, and, after countless hours spent copyediting and transcribing interviews, I can finally say I’ve made it to the big leagues—take that, haters! Well, okay, that wasn’t exactly how it went down; I was just so inspired by Booth newcomer Lyriciss’ underdog success story that I decided to try writing my own. From now on, I think I’ll leave that to the pros; as it turns out, They Told Me is a hard act to follow. The newly-released mixtape track finds the East Coast up-and-comer flowing over an exultant, brass-driven instrumental by G-Way, describing how quickly his doubters changed their tune when it became clear he was destined for success. While the triumphant tale of underground rhymesayer-turned-champion is a theme as old as rap itself, Lyriciss’ outsized braggadocio and vivid lyrical imagery make this cut a winner. Listeners who want to experience the next chapter in this rising star’s journey to the top should be sure and pick up a copy of his latest mixtape, Voice of the Metro, when it drops August 5th.
Written by richard on 07/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Ain't Hard to Tell '09" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)