My road to DJBooth.net superstardom wasn’t an easy one. Though nobody believed I could make it in the cold and unforgiving world of track reviews, I always knew I had something special, and, after countless hours spent copyediting and transcribing interviews, I can finally say I’ve made it to the big leagues—take that, haters! Well, okay, that wasn’t exactly how it went down; I was just so inspired by Booth newcomer Lyriciss’ underdog success story that I decided to try writing my own. From now on, I think I’ll leave that to the pros; as it turns out, They Told Me is a hard act to follow. The newly-released mixtape track finds the East Coast up-and-comer flowing over an exultant, brass-driven instrumental by G-Way, describing how quickly his doubters changed their tune when it became clear he was destined for success. While the triumphant tale of underground rhymesayer-turned-champion is a theme as old as rap itself, Lyriciss’ outsized braggadocio and vivid lyrical imagery make this cut a winner. Listeners who want to experience the next chapter in this rising star’s journey to the top should be sure and pick up a copy of his latest mixtape, Voice of the Metro, when it drops August 5th.
Written by richard on 07/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Ain't Hard to Tell '09" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.