My road to DJBooth.net superstardom wasn’t an easy one. Though nobody believed I could make it in the cold and unforgiving world of track reviews, I always knew I had something special, and, after countless hours spent copyediting and transcribing interviews, I can finally say I’ve made it to the big leagues—take that, haters! Well, okay, that wasn’t exactly how it went down; I was just so inspired by Booth newcomer Lyriciss’ underdog success story that I decided to try writing my own. From now on, I think I’ll leave that to the pros; as it turns out, They Told Me is a hard act to follow. The newly-released mixtape track finds the East Coast up-and-comer flowing over an exultant, brass-driven instrumental by G-Way, describing how quickly his doubters changed their tune when it became clear he was destined for success. While the triumphant tale of underground rhymesayer-turned-champion is a theme as old as rap itself, Lyriciss’ outsized braggadocio and vivid lyrical imagery make this cut a winner. Listeners who want to experience the next chapter in this rising star’s journey to the top should be sure and pick up a copy of his latest mixtape, Voice of the Metro, when it drops August 5th.
Listen to More: Rob Regal
Written by richard on 07/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Ain't Hard to Tell '09" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.