So a few days ago I get an email from Lyriciss asking me to check out his new track featuring Ray-J. I won’t front, my heart stopped for a moment. Could one of hip-hop’s most integral emcees really have recruited Brandy’s brother for a radio ready single? Fear not my fellow hip-hop heads, the inclusion of Mr. J on Stop Scheming (making its world premiere right now!) is purely for illustrative effect. Instead of a polished radio jam we get a lightly piano laced beat from fellow DMVer J-Scrilla and Chop-La-Rok that unwinds slowly like cigar smoke. It’s the perfect outline for Lyriciss to fill in with storytelling flows that cover – what else? – the various people he’s caught scheming on him, from not-so-gangster rappers to thirsty women: “Force me to play Gambit, I’m pullin your card / just focus on being you, and whatever you do, stop schemin.” If the world has stopped its devious ways by the time Lyriciss’ upcoming project, The Balance: Respect EP, drops via The DJBooth on November 7 then we’ll know Lyriciss truly has the power to turn word into action.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Told Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.