They say the best music comes when the artist is writing about what they know best. Considering I can’t imagine a topic Lyriciss is better versed in than his own existence, video single My Life is pretty much guaranteed to be some damn good music. Sure enough, with producer Slimkat78 laying down a mellowed out instrumental that puts me in a real Dilla frame of mind and an as-yet unidentified vocalist laying down some serious soul on the hook, there’s no doubt that this is some quality music - and we haven’t even gotten to Lyriciss yet. In line after line, Lyriciss gives us his heart and soul on the mic, refusing to sacrifice any part of himself in the name of acceptance and mainstream success: “I haven’t always been perfect, but you know a younging always tried / cause my momma taught me my heart is worth more than my pride.” For even more chapters of Lyriciss’ hip-hop download a free copy of his The Balance: Heart EP, the follow up to previous EPs Money and Respect.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Told Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)