Hailed by many reviewers as a potential classic, It Ain’t Hard to Tell ‘09 emcee Lyriciss’ The Practice mixtape was packed from top to bottom with pure, uncut hip-hop goodness. Nowhere was this freshness more concentrated than on Hard Times, a collaborative cut so hot that guest contributor Muggsy Malone has elected to include it on his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored mixtape as well. Here, Equinox Productions’ soulful instrumental, sampled from a track of the same title by curiously-named soul group Baby Huey and the Babysitters, sets the stage for for lyrical reflections on the street life from Lyriciss, Malone, and fellow reader favorite K-Beta. While the headliner’s gritty rhymes and Beta’s conversational bars don’t disappoint, I was left most impressed by Malone’s tightly-wound wordplay on the back end: “In the ‘hood I felt like I was a chopped-down tree, and I would never leave.” Agree with my assessment? If so, you’ll be able to get a taste of Muggsy’s TPK (The Parkway Kid) street album later this spring, when he drops aptly-titled preview mixtape The Preview.
Written by richard on 03/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Told Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)