Hailed by many reviewers as a potential classic, It Ain’t Hard to Tell ‘09 emcee Lyriciss’ The Practice mixtape was packed from top to bottom with pure, uncut hip-hop goodness. Nowhere was this freshness more concentrated than on Hard Times, a collaborative cut so hot that guest contributor Muggsy Malone has elected to include it on his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored mixtape as well. Here, Equinox Productions’ soulful instrumental, sampled from a track of the same title by curiously-named soul group Baby Huey and the Babysitters, sets the stage for for lyrical reflections on the street life from Lyriciss, Malone, and fellow reader favorite K-Beta. While the headliner’s gritty rhymes and Beta’s conversational bars don’t disappoint, I was left most impressed by Malone’s tightly-wound wordplay on the back end: “In the ‘hood I felt like I was a chopped-down tree, and I would never leave.” Agree with my assessment? If so, you’ll be able to get a taste of Muggsy’s TPK (The Parkway Kid) street album later this spring, when he drops aptly-titled preview mixtape The Preview.
Written by richard on 03/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Told Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.